What is leech protection ?
Its a security feature in cPanel which prevents posting password insecurely. you can prevent users from logging in multiple times within a short time period using this feature. You can set max number of logins, while the default value is set to 2 hours. If the users exceed the login limit, you can redirect them to another URL, send an alert e-mail, or potentially suspending the user.
Lets Being with enabling leech protection :
- Login to cPanel and then scroll down to the security group & select the leech protection.
- The “Leech Protection Directory selection” window will now appear. Here you have to select the directory you want to start. Then select the web directory and click the go button.
- Now the leech protection navigation interface will appear. To navigate to the directory, click the directory icon and click the directory name to select the directory and a new interface will appear.
- At first, we will set a limit for the number of times a user can log in to the directory within a two-hour period. This limits the user based on the limit you have set.
- Then on the next box “URL to Redirect Leech Users to” enter a URL to direct users who login in more than that number of times.
- Next, we can select whether to send an alert when someone login too many times and we can enter the email address to alert. Click on the checkbox “Send Email Alert To”.
- Select the “Disable Compromised Accounts” checkbox to suspend the users who exceed the maximum number of logins within a two-hour period.
- Now Click on Enable button.
Steps to disable leech protection :
- Select the leech protection from security tab of the cPanel home screen.
- Click the name of the directory that you wish to disable.
- Click on disable button.